Bell Bay Aluminium is part of the Rio Tinto Group, a global leader in aluminium, one of the world’s most widely used metals.
Based approximately 50 kilometres from Launceston in Northern Tasmania, the smelter commenced production in 1955 and was the first aluminium smelter built in the southern hemisphere. The smelter produces primary aluminium products. The majority of our metal is cast to customer requirements and is exported to international markets. We pride ourselves on being a world leader in quality aluminium products founded on a deep commitment to safety and operational excellence.
We are looking for an experienced Process Control Engineer to work in our Carbon and Business Improvement team. The Carbon & BI department is charged with the safe, clean and efficient production processes of forming, baking and rodding carbon anodes as well as the identification and implementation of business improvement opportunities over time.
The key tasks of the role include:
- Maintaining and improving the plant process performance over time
- Utilising your skills and knowledge and the skills and knowledge of your peers, leaders, and the operations team to maintain minimal process variation by identifying and responding to process variation
- Assess long term carbon plant performance and manage process settings
- Monitor process run charts, intervene as needed to maintain stable processes
- Provide technical leadership to the department by providing advice and guidance and helping problem solve as needed
- Monitor key performance drivers
- Provide advice to Crew Leaders and Superintendent on operational standards and technical performance
- Conduct audits and provide feedback to internal stakeholders
- Conduct trials, assess results and recommend/initiate improvements based on results
- Provide coaching/training to Process Control team members
- Creating engaging and enduring relationships with team members
- Timely escalation and advice provided to Superintendent of any risk to the process
The successful candidate will be/have:
- Tertiary qualified in a relevant field (Chemical, Metallurgy or Process Engineering) or have significant relevant experience in aluminium smelting process control engineering
- Excellent ability to develop and foster productive working relationships with peers, production teams, leadership and other stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills, numerical competency and computer literacy
- A strong commitment to health, safety and environment
- An energetic and enthusiastic “hands on” approach
- A passion to learn, improve and achieve
- The ability to work effectively both within a team and independently with minimal supervision
- The ability to plan work efficiently with discretion, reliability and accuracy
The successful candidate, will be rewarded with an attractive salary commensurate to your experience together with many other Rio Tinto employee benefits. Working within a dynamic and friendly culture, in an organisation renowned for its world class safety standards and high quality product, this is an opportunity not to be missed.
As a passionate equal opportunity employer, we continue to promote a diverse work force so we strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds.
For further information about this role please contact Vis Naidoo, Specialist Carbon Technical, on 0439 308 434.
Applications close on Monday, 25 March 2019.